Monday, January 24, 2011

Homemade Muesli Healthy Heart Recipe

Homemade Muesli

I have been on a health buzz ever since certain physical exam results came in. And my pancake breakfast streak finally came to an end. Enter yogurt and muesli.

Except that I didn't find the perfect ready-made muesli blend. Which was a total shocker, as we got muesli blends in India by the kilos! We tried several brands. Some were too sweet, too bland or just too many raisins (Yes, there is such a thing, especially if you don't possess a sweet tooth!). And no, I wasn't going to go the granola way. It just has too much oil and sugar for being healthy for me. It didn't help that Mr. AJ and me had wildly different preferences when it came to muesli. So, I decided to make my own.

This is my recipe of muesli. I have added certain unusual elements to amp up the nutrients. Flaxseeds provide the omega-3, which is tough to get on a vegetarian diet. This offers a healthy, non-supplement route to incorporate some in our daily diet. Instead of raisins, I added dried blueberries and cranberries which provided the mild sweetness. I love these because they don't overpower unlike raisins. Cranberries and blueberries also have a very high antioxidants content. Pecans, sliced almonds and roasted pumpkin seeds offer the crunch. Pecans have been found to rank the highest among all nuts in terms of anti-oxidation properties and are also reduce cholesterol levels.
Homemade Muesli Recipe
Inspired by AJ's health report :)

If you have trouble finding any of the rolled cereals, substitute it with another rolled cereal.

Makes 6-8 cups

Ingredients

Rolled Wheat - 2 cups
Rolled Triticale- 2 cups
Rolled Barley- 1 cup
Rolled Oats -1 cup
Wheat Bran- 1/3 cup
Dried Cranberries- 1 cup
Dried Blackberries- 1 cup
Chopped Pecans- 1/2 cup
Sliced Almonds-1/2 cup
Pumpkin Seeds- 1 cup
Flaxseeds- 1/3 cup

Directions

Mix all the rolled cereals together to create an even mix. Add dried cranberries, blackberries, nuts and seeds together with wheat bran. Mix well to evenly distribute all ingredients. Store in an air tight container.

3 comments:

  1. This is perfect! I like to boost my yogurt with something a bit more filling since I'm not much of a breakfast person (except for pancakes and bacon). I always grind my flax seeds because I read somewhere that you can't really digest them because the outside shell is pretty hard and they won't breakdown on their travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joy. I am not much of a breakfast person myself, but my husband is a whole another story! I will keep the flaxseed in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thumbs up for the pumpkin seeds! excellent combination of flavors and textures

    ReplyDelete

Pages