Sunday, August 5, 2012

Coconut Oats Muffins

I am on a muffin making spree. It's the perfect dessert and I wish I had discovered them sooner. I love their size; it is the perfect serving size for 1 person. Its completely another matter than I can't just stop eating them!  Perhaps that's why I waited so long before dabbling in baking. It was pure self preservation. Oh well, you can't stop things which are meant to be. 


I think it also had to with her beautiful blog. Joy makes baking so irresistible and simple. A lot of blogs make baking sound tedious; careful measurements and taking temperatures. Not Joy. With her, its just a matter of mixing, beating and popping in the hot oven and voila! 

I am also totally loving my convection microwave. It takes much lesser time to heat up and get cracking. Baking times are shorter too. So unlike the monstrosity that came fitted with the apartment in Seattle.

I never experimented with coconut flakes or coconut oil till now and this recipe seemed like just the thing to get started. Mine actually puffed up as you can see in the photographs. Maybe because I used quick cooking oat meal rather than traditional oats. I also made a batch with mangoes, but I much preferred the ones without mangoes. Mangoes tend to get super mushy when baked and don't keep well till the next day.

Coconut Oats Muffins
Adapted from The Kitchn.
Makes about 12 muffins

Ingredients
1/2 cup coconut oil (I used Parachute cooking oil)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup oat flour (I processed the quick cooking oats into the flour)
1/2 cup oats (I used quick cooking oats since that's the only one available here)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup fresh coconut - grated
1 cup yogurt - I used home made
1/3 cup granulated sugar + 2 tbsp sugar for sweetened coconut
1 large egg, room temperature 
Vanilla essence - 3-4 drops
1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, for top

Directions


For making sweetened coconut, add 1-2 tbsp coconut water and 2 tbsp sugar to grated coconut. Microwave on high in 30 second bursts till the sugar melts, taking care the coconut or sugar doesn't burn.


Preheat the oven to 150 degree Celsius.

Sift together all the dry ingredients. Add coconut flakes to the dry ingredients. 


In a separate bowl, stir together all the wet ingredients along with the egg till mixed well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix till well combined.

Line cupcake pan with cupcake wrappers. Pour batter into the cupcake wrappers till the top and top it with sweetened coconut. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes till the toothpick comes out clean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages